Bribery and Public Corruption Criminal Defense Lawyers
Michigan’s premier Bribery and Public Corruption criminal defense law firm is ready to aggressively and intelligently defend federal and state bribery and corruption charges.
Bribery and Public Corruption Criminal Defense in Michigan
Few crimes shake a community like bribery and public corruption cases. The government tends to rush to judgment in these matters to reassure the public it can have confidence in the government. In a rush to judgment, innocent people can find themselves wrongfully accused. An innocent person or someone who has been over-charged will get their best defense from experienced, savvy, and tenacious public corruption criminal defense lawyers.
What exactly are bribery and corruption?
The most common types of crimes covered by the law are:
- Bribery of a public officer, employee, or elected official
- Acceptance of a bribe by a public officer, employee, or elected official
- Corruption of a juror, appraiser, receiver, trustee, commissioner, referee, or arbitrator
- Acceptance of a bribe by a juror, appraiser, receiver, trustee, commissioner, referee, or arbitrator
Bribery and corruption charges involve either elected or appointed public officers, a juror, or another publicly-employed person in a decision-making position. The bribery statute states that a person shall not corruptly give, offer, or promise to any juror or public officer something of value, such as money, property, or another valuable thing, to influence the juror or public officer to do something or not do something in their official capacity. It is also, of course, illegal for a public official or juror to accept a bribe. The purpose of bribing a juror would be to influence the outcome of a jury trial.
False and Exaggerated Charges of Bribery and Public Corruption
The government and the public are interested in prosecuting bribery and public corruption cases. This being said, law enforcement has a reputation for being overzealous when investigating these allegations, and the prosecutions are frequently motivated by politics, money, or another inappropriate basis. Because the government prosecutes bribery and public corruption cases with extraordinary voraciousness, an effective defense lawyer must be fearless and have the expertise, influence, and reputation to stand up to the government and fight effectively for the client. Bribery and public corruption cases are considered “white-collar crimes.”
LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. uses a unique team approach adapted to defend clients from a coordinated and complex prosecution. Just as the government will undoubtedly have multiple lawyers and investigators working together to prosecute their case, the defense must have the resources necessary to mount a strong defense and a team to collaborate and do what is necessary to protect the client.
What penalties are possible for engaging in bribery or public corruption?
For charges by the State of Michigan, the penalties are:
- The penalty for bribing or attempting to bribe a public officer is a possible 4 years in prison, a $5,000.00 fine, or both.
- The penalty for bribing or attempting to bribe a juror is 4 years in prison, a $5,000.00 fine, or both.
- The penalty for bribing or attempting to bribe a juror in a criminal case where the case’s penalty is 10 years or more is 10 years in prison and a $20,000.00 fine, or both.
- The penalty for a public official accepting a bribe is 10 years in prison, a $5,000.00 fine, or both.
The potential penalties for federal charges in the United States District Court are different. Some examples include:
- Giving or receiving an illegal gratuity can lead to a 2-year prison sentence.
- A bribery conviction can result in up to 15 years of imprisonment and potentially enormous fines.
- Program bribery, for programs receiving greater than $10,000 in public funding, can result in a 10-year prison sentence.
- Hobbs Act and Wire Fraud violations can result in up to 20 years in federal prison.
The difference between good lawyers and great lawyers
Even if they are not particularly intelligent, talented, or experienced with public corruption crimes, any lawyer can take any such a case. The best attorneys engage their brains and take the time to analyze and strategize because they love doing so. For example, consider these words from the statute: “corruptly” and “valuable thing.” These words can be interpreted in many ways. What do they really mean? An average attorney may simply assume they are applicable and never think it through. A lawyer’s job is to think everything through, question everything, and assume nothing. To the best lawyers, this comes naturally and is a basic instinct. Make sure you hire the best lawyer you can find when all you hold dear is on the line.
Bribery and corruption cases require a criminal defense attorney who will stand up to the government and the intense media exposure and publicity these cases generate. These cases are not for the faint of heart. Some lawyers cave when under such stress.
A Top Bribery and Public Corruption Law Firm
The award-winning, highly experienced, and passionate defense attorneys at LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. have successfully represented thousands of clients on felony and misdemeanor charges in State and Federal courts throughout Michigan. We regularly appear in Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Washtenaw, Livingston Counties, courts throughout Michigan, and the federal United States District Courts in Michigan. We have a well-earned reputation for providing the highest quality defense and aggressive representation while showing empathy and care for each client.
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation or complete a Request for Assistance Form. We will contact you promptly and find a way to help you.