Bribery and Public Corruption Criminal Defense Lawyers
Michigan’s premier Bribery and Public Corruption criminal defense law firm is ready to aggressively and intelligently defend federal and state bribery and corruption charges.
What exactly are bribery and corruption?
The most common types of crimes covered by the law are:
- Bribery of a public officer
- Acceptance of a bribe by a public officer
- Corruption of a juror, appraiser, receiver, trustee, commissioner, referee or arbitrator
- Acceptance of a bribe by a juror, appraiser, receiver, trustee, commissioner, referee or arbitrator
Bribery and corruption charges involve public officers, either elected or appointed, a juror, or another publicly-employed person in a decision-making position. The bribery statute states than a person shall not corruptly give, offer or promise to any juror or public officer, money, property, or another valuable thing, for the purpose of influencing the juror or public officer to do something or not do something in their official capacity. It is also, of course, illegal for a public official or juror to accept a bribe.
False and Exaggerated Charges of Bribery and Public Corruption
The government and the public have an interest in prosecuting bribery and public corruption cases. This being said, law enforcement has a reputation for being overzealous when investigating these allegations, and the prosecutions are frequently motivated by politics, money, or another inappropriate basis. Because charges such as bribery and public corruption are prosecuted with extraordinary voraciousness, an effective defense lawyer must be fearless and have the expertise, influence, and reputation to stand up to the government and fight effectively for the client.
LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. uses a unique team approach that is uniquely adapted to defend clients from a coordinated and complex prosecution. Just as the government will undoubtedly have multiple lawyers and investigators working together to prosecute their case, the defense must have the resources necessary to mount a strong defense and a team to collaborate and do what is necessary to protect the client.
What penalties are possible for engaging in bribery or public corruption?
For charges by the State of Michigan, the penalties are:
- The penalty for bribing or attempting to bribe a public officer is a possible 4 years in prison and a $5,000.00 fine, or both.
- The penalty for bribing or attempting to bribe a juror is 4 years in prison and a $5,000.00 fine, or both.
- The penalty for bribing or attempting to bribe a juror in a criminal case where the case’s penalty is 10 years or more is 10-years in prison and a $20,000.00 fine, or both.
- The penalty for a public official accepting a bribe is 10 years in prison and a $5,000.00 fine, or both.
For federal charges in the United States District Court, the potential penalties are different. Some examples include:
- Giving or receiving an illegal gratuity can lead to a 2-year prison sentence.
- A bribery conviction can result in up to 15 years imprisonment and potentially enormous fines.
- Program bribery, for programs receiving greater than $10,000 in public funding, can result in a 10-year prison sentence.
- Hobbs Act and Wire Fraud violations can result in up to 20 years in federal prison.
The difference between good lawyers and great lawyers
Any lawyer can take any case, even if they are not smart, talented, or experienced with the charged crime. The best attorneys engage their brains and take the time to analyze and strategize because they love doing so. As an example, consider these words from the statute: “corruptly” and “valuable thing.” These words can be interpreted in many ways. What do they really mean? An average attorney may simply assume they are applicable in a case because the case was charged, and they never really think it through. A lawyer’s job is to think everything through, question everything, and assume nothing. To the best lawyers, this comes naturally and is a basic instinct. Make sure you hire the best lawyer you can find when all you hold dear is on the line.
Bribery and corruption cases require a criminal defense attorney who will stand up to the government and the intense media exposure and publicity these cases generate. These cases are not for the faint of heart. Some lawyers simply cave when under such stress.
LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. is a Top Bribery and Public Corruption Law Firm
The award-winning, highly experienced and passionate defense attorneys at LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. have successfully represented thousands of clients on felony and misdemeanor charges in State and Federal courts throughout Michigan. We regularly appear in Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Washtenaw, and Livingston Counties and state courts throughout Michigan, and in the United States District Courts in Michigan. We have a well-earned reputation for providing the highest quality defense and aggressive representation while showing empathy and care for each client.
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation, or complete a Request for Assistance Form and we will contact you promptly.