Domestic Violence Allegations and Defenses
Domestic violence and dating violence allegations in Michigan. True or false, it is a problem.
False Allegations of Domestic Violence are Rampant
If you are accused of domestic violence, the government will assume you are guilty and aggressively pursue your conviction and punishment. There are both legitimate charges of domestic violence and cases where domestic violence incidents are falsely reported. Violence is never the answer. However, falsely blaming someone for having committed violence is a crime, and there is no greater tragedy than an innocent person being wrongfully convicted. Facing domestic violence allegations is easier if you know the facts and available options.
Police officers often have to make close calls when dispatched to an alleged domestic violence scene. Who did what to whom? Was the violence mutual? Unfortunately, the officers’ personal feelings and biases come into play and impact who they charge with a felony or misdemeanor crime.
Facts about Domestic Assault – Why Judges are Tough are Tough in DV Cases
Here are the facts about domestic violence that influence judges when imposing a sentence.
- A woman is subjected to domestic abuse every 9 seconds.
- Domestic violence is said to be the single greatest cause of injuries to women.
- Domestic violence occurs in all cultures, races, occupations, and income levels.
- More than 80% of males accused of domestic violence have no assaultive history.
- The American Medical Association reports that more than 10,000 women are killed by domestic violence each year.
False Reporting of Domestic Abuse – Your defense lawyer must be tough!
The fact is that many domestic violence allegations are false or exaggerated.
- 85% of all restraining orders are issued against men.
- 70% is the estimate of restraining orders that are trivial or false.
- $2,000 is the estimated amount of taxpayer money spent on issuing, servicing, and adjudicating one restraining order.
- 700,000 the estimated number of people falsely arrested for domestic violence each year.
- $20 billion is the estimated number of tax dollars spent each year for welfare and public benefits arising from false domestic violence allegations that force children into single-parent households.
- Defendants are often presumed guilty of domestic violence, even when the allegations are false or exaggerated.
You need an experienced and dedicated defense attorney.
Are you facing domestic violence charges? Have you been falsely blamed for a domestic assault? Have allegations been blown out of proportion or exaggerated? You need the help of first-class legal representation so that you know all the important facts about domestic violence. The attorneys with LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. are Michigan’s premier domestic violence attorneys. Our attorneys have successfully represented people charged with domestic violence in Michigan for decades.
Domestic violence cases are taken very seriously by prosecutors and the courts. Judges often feel like they need to be harsh on domestic violence defendants to make an example out of them and to get favorable media attention. Because of the pressure to be harsh on domestic violence defendants, you need legal representation that is not afraid to stand up to over-zealous prosecutors and judges and will protect you and your rights. LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. takes its obligations to its clients very seriously. Our attorneys take great pride in our reputation for success and dedication to giving our clients the extraordinary defense they deserve.
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation or complete a Request for Assistance Form. We will contact you promptly and find a way to help you.