Michigan’s Top 50 Felonies – Criminal Defense Lawyer
As one of Michigan’s premier criminal defense law firms, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C., requires all partners and associates to regularly engage in continuing legal education (CLE) and trail skills workshops. CLE can take many forms from seminars to classes to webinars to reading relevant literature. Occasionally, an article in the Michigan Bar Journal will be relevant to our practice.
In the March 2012 edition, there is an informative article about some Michigan criminal law basics that I thought you may find interesting. It doesn’t matter if your case is pending in Oakland County, Wayne County, Macomb County or elsewhere in Michigan, the information in the article has statewide relevance.
Michigan’s top fifty (50) felony offenses based upon order of prosecution. The current list of 50 contains, “only about one-fourteenth of the possible Michigan felony offenses, but these result in more than 85% of all felony trials and convictions.”
The Top Fifty Felony Offenses
- Possession of Controlled Substance (cocaine, heroin or other narcotic) under 25 grams.
- Manufacture/Delivery or Possession with Intent to Deliver Marijuana under 5 kilograms
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated or Impaired with a Controlled Substance – Third (3rd) Offense (also commonly referred to as OWI, DWI, DUI or drunk driving.
- Manufacture/Deliver or Possession with intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance under 50 grams
- Assault, Resist, Obstruct or Oppose a Police Officer (a felony that is all too often abused by arresting officers which a habit for exaggeration and dramatization).
- Larceny in a Building
- Home Invasion, Second Degree
- Uttering and Publishing a forged instrument (often a check)
- Breaking and Entering a Building with Intent to Commit a Felony Therein
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW) (often a gun or knife but can be other things)
- Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (felonious assault or FA) (the use of any object in a way that is likely or capable of causing serious injury)
- Refusal to Support Spouse or Children (Child Support Felony) – clearly the most abused felony. Prosecuted in a way to support the election of politicians and directly contrary to its stated purpose of helping children.
- Possession of a Controlled Substance Analogues or Certain Controlled Substances
- Retail Fraud – First (1st) Degree (also called shoplifting).
- Possession of a Stolen Financial Transaction Device (Credit Card) without Consent
- Fleeing or Eluding a Police Officer – 3rd Degree
- Receiving, Possessing or Concealing a Stolen Vehicle (Car, Truck, Boat, etc…)
- Larceny from a Vehicle
- Armed Robbery
- Felon in Possession of a Firearm
- Possession of Methamphetamine
- Home Invasion First (1st) Degree
- Unlawful Driving Away of an Automobile (UDAA or Joy Riding)
- Keeping a Drug House
- Unarmed Robbery
- Assault w/ Intent to do Great Bodily Harm Less Than Murder
- Domestic Violence – 3rd Degree
- Sex Offender – Failure to Register
- Receiving and Concealing Stolen Property $1,000 – $20,000
- Home Invasion Third (3rd) Degree
- Embezzlement Less than $1,000
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – Third (3rd) Degree
- Felony Firearm
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – Second (2nd) Degree
- Delivery/Manufacture C/S sched 103 (not marijuana)
- Fleeing or Eluding a Police Officer Forth Degree
- Larceny from a Person
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – Forth Degree
- Identity Theft
- Unlawful Use of a Motor Vehicle
- Larceny $1,000 to $20,000
- Obtaining a Controlled Substance by Fraud
- Illegal Sale/Use of a Financial Transaction Device
- B&E Motor Vehicle with Damage
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – First Degree
- Malicious Destruction of Property ($1,000 – $20,000)
- False Report of a Felony
- No Account Check
- Murder, 2nd Degree
- Entering without Breaking but with Intent
Note: “Note that for 46 of the top 50 offenses shown on the chart, no prison sentence may be imposed under the guidelines if there are no aggravating circumstances and no prior criminal record. One of the goals of the sentencing guidelines system was to prevent overcrowding our prisons.”
If you are charged with a criminal offense in the State of Michigan, you can trust LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. to fight for you. Or Defense Team has decades of experience specializing in state and federal criminal defense. We are nationally ranked to be among the top criminal lawyers in the United States, awarded the prestigious distinction of Super Lawyer, ranked 10.0 (suburb) on Avvo, and AV (preeminent on Martindale-Hubbell).
If you want an attorney who will fight for you like family please call us at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation. We will find a way to help you and we are not afraid to win!