Felony Crimes in Michigan
In Michigan, there are hundreds of felony offenses used by State Prosecutors in various cases. This being said, there are some felony offenses that are charged much more often than others. For any felony charge, prison and years of probation are possible and these cases must be taken very, very seriously. A felony is defined as an offense for which the defendant could possibly be sentenced to greater than 1 year in jail. Although felony charges start in district courts (city or township courts), they are generally transferred at some point to a circuit court (county court). For those defendant’s who do not have the financial wherewithal to hire a private, retained criminal defense attorney, a court-appointed lawyer may be available. Court-appointed lawyers are free lawyers. If an attorney is appointed, the defendant will be ordered to reimburse the cost of the lawyer at the conclusion of the case. A well-known, successful, privately retained criminal defense attorney generally has the time, resources and experience to provide superior representation and results. The Defense Team with LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C., for example, has decades of experience and an unparalleled track record of success in court.
Known and Respected Felony Defense Attorneys in Michigan
As one of Michigan’s premier criminal defense law firms, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C., requires all partners and associates to regularly engage in continuing legal education (CLE) and trail skills workshops. CLE can take many forms from seminars to classes to webinars to reading relevant literature. The Defense Team uses a unique team approach whereby they collaborate to achieve extraordinary results. For those individuals who are being investigated for a felony offense or who are charged in court, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. is the go-to firm in Michigan for fearless and effective criminal defense representation.
The Top Fifty Felony Offenses
Michigan’s top fifty (50) felony offenses based upon the order of prosecution. The current list of 50 most commonly prosecuted felony offenses contains, “only about one-fourteenth of the possible Michigan felony offenses, but these result in more than 85% of all felony trials and convictions.”
- Possession of Controlled Substance (cocaine, heroin or other narcotic) under 25 grams.
- Manufacture/Delivery or Possession with Intent to Deliver Marijuana under 5 kilograms
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated or Impaired with a Controlled Substance – Third (3rd) Offense (also commonly referred to as OWI, DWI, DUI or drunk driving.
- Manufacture/Deliver or Possession with intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance under 50 grams
- Assault, Resist, Obstruct or Oppose a Police Officer (a felony that is all too often abused by arresting officers which a habit for exaggeration and dramatization).
- Larceny in a Building
- Home Invasion, Second Degree
- Uttering and Publishing a forged instrument (often a check)
- Breaking and Entering a Building with Intent to Commit a Felony Therein
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW) (often a gun or knife but can be other things)
- Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (felonious assault or FA) (the use of an object in a way that is likely or capable of causing serious injury)
- Refusal to Support Spouse or Children (Child Support Felony) – clearly the most abused felony. Prosecuted in a way to support the election of politicians and directly contrary to its stated purpose of helping children.
- Possession of a Controlled Substance Analogues or Certain Controlled Substances
- Retail Fraud – First (1st) Degree (also called shoplifting).
- Possession of a Stolen Financial Transaction Device (Credit Card) without Consent
- Fleeing or Eluding a Police Officer – 3rd Degree
- Receiving, Possessing or Concealing a Stolen Vehicle (Car, Truck, Boat, etc…)
- Larceny from a Vehicle
- Armed Robbery
- Felon in Possession of a Firearm
- Possession of Methamphetamine
- Home Invasion First (1st) Degree
- Unlawful Driving Away of an Automobile (UDAA or Joy Riding)
- Keeping a Drug House
- Unarmed Robbery
- Assault w/ Intent to do Great Bodily Harm Less Than Murder
- Domestic Violence – 3rd Degree
- Sex Offender – Failure to Register
- Receiving and Concealing Stolen Property $1,000 – $20,000
- Home Invasion Third (3rd) Degree
- Embezzlement Less than $1,000
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – Third (3rd) Degree
- Felony Firearm
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – Second (2nd) Degree
- Delivery/Manufacture Controlled Substance (not marijuana)
- Fleeing or Eluding a Police Officer Fourth Degree
- Larceny from a Person
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – Fourth Degree
- Identity Theft
- Unlawful Use of a Motor Vehicle
- Larceny $1,000 to $20,000
- Obtaining a Controlled Substance by Fraud
- Illegal Sale/Use of a Financial Transaction Device
- B&E Motor Vehicle with Damage
- Criminal Sexual Conduct – First Degree
- Malicious Destruction of Property ($1,000 – $20,000)
- False Report of a Felony
- No Account Check
- Murder, 2nd Degree
- Entering without Breaking but with Intent
The Experienced Felony Criminal Defense Team in Michigan
If you are charged with a criminal offense in the State of Michigan, you can trust LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. to fight for you. Or Defense Team has decades of experience specializing in state and federal criminal defense. We are nationally ranked to be among the top criminal lawyers in the United States, awarded the prestigious distinction of Super Lawyer, ranked 10.0 (suburb) on Avvo, and AV (preeminent on Martindale-Hubbell).
Although we most commonly appear in Oakland County, Wayne County, Washtenaw County, Macomb County, and Livingston County, we are routinely hired to handle cases throughout Michigan and our reputation for providing the highest possible level of service is widely known.
If you want an attorney who will fight for you like family please call us at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation or complete a Request for Assistance Form and a top defense attorney will promptly contact you. We will find a way to help you and we are not afraid to win!
“We will find a way to help you and, most importantly, we are not afraid to win!“
– LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C.