Are you facing retail fraud charges in Sterling Heights, Michigan?
Among approximately 132,000 residents and major retail shopping centers, retail fraud is one of the most common crimes charged in the 41-A District Court in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
Do not mistake retail fraud or “shoplifting” as a minor crime. Whether this is your first or third offense, or the item was $50 or $2000, you need an excellent retail fraud attorney. Without aggressive and reliable support, any charge of retail fraud may easily result in jail time, expensive fines, and a misdemeanor or felony conviction on your record.
Choosing the passionate, experienced, and well known lawyers with LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. is ensuring the best possible outcome of your retail fraud case in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
What You Need to Know About Retail Fraud
Retail fraud is when someone “shoplifts” or steals or attempts to steal an item available for sale to the public at a retail outlet or store. Under Michigan law, retail fraud goes beyond intentionally walking out of a store without paying for concealed merchandise. This crime encompasses concealing, replacing, transferring, or misrepresenting the sale price of item with intentions of not paying, paying less, or defraud.
There are three degrees of retail fraud that depend on item price and prior offenses, and each entail different punishments.
- First Degree Retail Fraud if the item is over $1000 and this is your first offense OR the item is over $200 and you have any prior convictions.
- Second Degree Retail Fraud if either of the following is true:
- The item is between $200 and $1000 and this is your first offense.
- The item is less than $200 and this is your second offense.
- Third Degree Retail Fraud if the item is less than $200 and this is your first offense.
The extent to which you are penalized varies based on degree.
- First Degree Retail Fraud
- Felony charge
- Up to five years in prison
- Fine up to $10,000 or triple the value of the item(s)
- Second Degree Retail Fraud
- Misdemeanor charge
- Up to one year in prison
- Fine up to $2,000 or triple the value of the item(s)
- Third Degree Retail Fraud
- Misdemeanor charge
- Up to 93 days in prison
- Fine up to $500 or triple the value of the item(s)
If you are facing retail fraud charges at the 41-A District Court in Sterling Heights, Michigan, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. understands your situation, and we can help you:
- Remember, you are NOT a horrible person. We know that you are a good person, and you do not belong in prison. Retail fraud is a common yet serious crime, but we will prove to the judge that this is inconsistent with your true character and you will never do this again.
- Being accused of or caught shoplifting is simply shameful and embarrassing. Any charge of retail fraud looks the same to future potential employers, clients, university admissions, peers, family, etc. We will work restlessly to eliminate or minimize the charge on your record.
- Mental illness may explain shoplifting. Kleptomania, addiction, bipolar disorder, dissociative disorder, severe anxiety, and/or depression are mental illnesses that are frequently associated with retail fraud cases. We will not only help you obtain the best possible result, but also make arrangements with the judge and prosecutor to get you any help you may need.
- Many accusations are false or exaggerated. We have successfully dealt with many cases where our clients were wrongly accused.
Falsely accused of Retail Fraud in Sterling Heights, Michigan?
Do not panic. This may be a frightening and frustrating time, but LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. knows exactly how to advocate for and defend you in court. Our lawyers have extensive experience defending clients who allegedly concealed merchandise, but the situation was misinterpreted. Leave it up to us to appropriately and effectively convince the prosecuting officials or judge that you did not intend to leave the store without paying for the item.
Do not say goodbye to your future… LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. has your back. We will not let you down.
A stellar lawyer is crucial in any retail fraud case. There are multiple objectives in successfully defending someone facing retail fraud charges. Our goal is always to obtain dismissal of all charges if possible. Please call us today at (248) 263-6800 or complete a Request for Assistance Form and we will promptly contact you.
The Best Retail Fraud Defense Law Firm
The lawyers with LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. have decades of experience successfully defending clients facing retail fraud charges in the 41-A District Court in Sterling Heights, Michigan. We are well known for our unparalleled track record among prosecutors, judges, and society.
There are three judges who manage the Sterling Heights 41-A District Court docket: Honorable Michael S. Maceroni, Steven S. Sierawski, and Kimberley A. Wiegand.
The 41-A District Court is located at 40111 Dodge Park Road, Sterling Heights, Michigan 48313.
“We will find a way to help you and, most importantly,
we are not afraid to win!“
– LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C.