Retail Fraud Felony and Misdemeanor Charges in Novi, Oakland County
You are in the right place if you are searching for superior legal representation for retail fraud charges in Novi.
Retail fraud, commonly called shoplifting, is a serious offense in Michigan.
A criminal conviction could easily result in financial loss, a ruined reputation, emotional damage, lengthy and costly probation, and jail time. Suppose you are facing retail fraud charges and looking for an experienced, aggressive team of attorneys in Novi, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN. In that case, P.L.L.C. is ready to fight for the dismissal of all charges!
Three (3) degrees of Retail Fraud as Outlined by the Michigan Penal Code
In Michigan, the penal code outlines three degrees of retail fraud, which include 1st degree, 2nd degree, and 3rd-degree retail fraud charges. Make no mistake – each degree carries the possibility of life-altering consequences if there is a conviction. Factors such as the price of the stolen item and the offender’s criminal history are determinative. Unfortunately, the legal process isn’t the same for all charges, and some individuals charged with 3rd-degree retail fraud figure that they will get off easy since the charge is a misdemeanor, only to find that they are still slapped with jail time, probation, and hefty fines by a judge. Worse than jail or probation is the impact of a “fraud” conviction when someone seeks new employment, a raise, government benefits, a loan, or anything else where someone may check a person’s criminal history. Whether you face a retail fraud charge in the 1st or 3rd degree in Novi, you do not want to face your charge without a reputable attorney with a proven track record of success.
What is included in “retail fraud”?
Being caught walking out of a store with an unpaid item comes to mind for many people when they hear the term “retail fraud.” Retail fraud in Novi includes a situation where the accused misrepresents an item’s price by removing or replacing a price tag, for example. Many young people do not realize various acts fall under the “retail fraud” umbrella. Inexperienced and ill-informed, many young people face retail fraud charges due to ignorance regarding what actions fall under retail fraud in Michigan. It is also prevalent for highly educated adults with no prior record, an excellent reputation, and an excellent job to find themselves on the receiving end of a retail fraud charge. Our Novi defense attorneys have handled countless cases like this, and we can help you through the process with dignity and respect and obtain extraordinary results.
What is at stake with a retail theft conviction?
While hiring a team of experienced Novi retail fraud attorneys may come at a cost in Novi, you must also consider the high cost of losing your case and facing a conviction. Whether it’s a 1st or 3rd-degree charge, your future employment, financial situation, criminal background, and mental health are at stake. Perhaps you are reasoning that the stolen item’s cost is relatively low, or you figure the punitive measures taken against you will be minimal since this is your first offense. It would be wise for you to consider that judges can order significant time in the Oakland County Jail and years of probation, which might include drug/alcohol testing, education or therapy, community service, hefty fines/costs, tether, a prohibition on entering stores, and more. For a defendant who is not an American citizen, you could face deportation, inability to re-enter the United States, or difficulty attaining citizenship.
Why hire a retail fraud defense attorney for shoplifting charges in Novi’s 52-1 District Court?
Hiring an excellent retail fraud lawyer is essential in defending against shoplifting charges in Novi’s 52-1 District Court for several reasons:
- Understanding the Law: A good retail fraud lawyer will thoroughly understand the laws surrounding retail fraud and shoplifting in Novi’s 52-1 District Court. This knowledge will enable them to build a strong defense based on the specific details of your case.
- Protecting Your Rights: Hiring a retail fraud lawyer will protect your legal rights throughout the entire legal process. They will ensure that the prosecution follows the proper legal procedures and that your rights are not violated.
- Mitigating the Consequences: If you are convicted of retail fraud, you could face serious consequences, including fines, community service, probation, and even jail time. A good retail fraud lawyer will work to mitigate these consequences and minimize the impact of the charges on your life.
- Negotiating a Plea Deal: Sometimes, it may be in your best interest to negotiate a plea deal with the prosecution. A skilled retail fraud lawyer can help you negotiate a plea deal that is fair and reasonable.
- Representing You in Court: Finally, a good retail fraud lawyer will represent you in court and present a strong factual, legal, and equitable defense on your behalf. They will challenge the evidence presented by the prosecution and work to prove your innocence or minimize your culpability.
Hiring a skilled, experienced retail fraud lawyer is crucial if you face shoplifting charges in Novi’s 52-1 District Court. The attorneys with LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. can provide expert legal guidance, protect your rights, and help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Your Best Defense to Retail Fraud Charges in the Novi District Court
Considering the impact that a retail fraud conviction can have on a person’s future, we encourage you to think twice before hiring a bargain lawyer who is weak, inexperienced, or ineffective. The judges and prosecutors are notoriously harsh in the 52-1 District Court in Novi, and your lawyer must have the reputation, experience, and aggressiveness to protect and defend you. Enlist the help of LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C., an experienced team that has helped thousands of clients over the years avoid unjust suffering as we fight for you in court.
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation or complete an online Request for Assistance Form. We will contact you promptly and find a way to help you.