Misdemeanor Offenses at Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Most people do not realize that there are crimes that apply solely to the Detroit Metro Airport. Even misdemeanor offenses are aggressively prosecuted and punished.
If you are charged with a Detroit Metro Airport misdemeanor, you need an aggressive and experienced defense attorney. Do not underestimate the seriousness of these charges.
Several law enforcement agencies have the authority to investigate crimes at the Detroit Airport and make arrests for misdemeanor and felony offenses. Because police and security personnel are on high alert at airports, they can misinterpret innocent conduct and mistakenly believe a person is committing a crime. In other cases, a person may do something illegal at the airport by accident or without knowledge that something is against the law. For example, a person may take a photograph of something at the airport for use on their business website. Under airport ordinances, this would be a misdemeanor offense punishable by up to 90 days in jail.
If you or someone you care about is under investigation or charged with a misdemeanor offense for something that happened at the airport, a defense lawyer with experience defending clients in this specialized area is their best hope for avoiding a conviction or jail sentence. A seasoned and successful defense attorney will use all means available to get charges dismissed if possible.
Misdemeanors at the Detroit Metro Airport
The following is a list of common offenses charged based on incidents at Detroit Metro Airport. This is only a partial list, and LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. can help you with any type of felony or misdemeanor charge in Wayne County and at the 34th District Court in Romulus, Michigan.
- Stealing or Attempting to Steal Merchandise (Frequently Called Shoplifting)
- Selling Products, Merchandise, or Services Without a Permit
- Conducting a Survey Without a Permit
- Gambling or Wagering Without a Permit
- Destroying, Damaging, or Defacing the Airport Buildings
- Destroying, Damaging, or Defacing and Property Owned by the Airport
- Abandoning or Leaving Unattended Personal Property
- Erecting, Posting, Distributing, Displaying Visual or Auditory Advertising or Information
- Taking Pictures or Videos at the Airport for Commercial Purposes (Trespassing)
- Impeding, Disrupting, or Harassing Passengers
- Making a Disturbance in a Public Place that Disrupts the Orderly Flow of Passengers
- Causing a Response by Public Safety Resources that Disrupts the Orderly Flow of Passengers
- Using a Skateboard, Roller Skates, or any Similar Device within the Airport
- Bringing an Unauthorized Animal into any Airport Terminal
- Removal or Attempted Removal of Lost Property from the Airport Premises
- Operating a Vehicle with More People or Cargo than the Designated Capacity
- Failure to Comply with a Lawful Order of a Police Officer
- Interfering with a Police Officer Enforcing the Law
- Failing to Leave an Aircraft Without Delay if Requested by the Owner or Operator
- Possession, Sale, Attempted Sale, or Manufacture of Drug Paraphernalia (drug charges)
- Use, Possession, Sale, or Manufacture a Controlled Substance in Violation of State Law
- Presence in a Public Place While Under the Influence of a Narcotic Drug
- Commission or Omission of an Act that Endangers Persons or Property
- Obstructing a Fire Lane
- Following a Fire or Rescue Vehicle within 500 Feet
- Driving Over an Unprotected Hose of the Fire Department
- Knowingly and Willfully Obstructing or Interfering with a Firefighter
- Use of a Fire Hydrant Without Authorization
- Use of an Oxy-Acetylene Torch, Electric Arc or Similar Device without a Permit
- Starting a Fire in Any Part of the Airport without a Permit
- Storing, Keeping, Handling, Using, Dispensing or Transporting an Explosive of Any Type
- Tampering with or Improperly Using a Fire Extinguisher or Equipment
- Tampering with or Improperly Using an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Violation of a Security Sensitive Area
- Tampering with any Security System, Measure, or Procedure
- Interfering, Threatening, Assaulting, or Intimidating Airport Security Personnel
- Using, Possessing, or Manufacturing Fraudulent Airport Access Medium or Identification
- Possession of a Dangerous Weapon in any Area of the Airport
- Failing to Submit to TSA Passenger Screening in a Sterile Area
- Making a False or Fraudulent Statement in an Application for ID Badge or Access Media
Penalty for a Misdemeanor at the Detroit Airport
A person who is convicted of a violation of any provision of this the Airport Ordinance that is designated as a misdemeanor shall be punished, by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), by imprisonment not exceeding ninety (90) days, and up to two (2) years of probation.
Criminal Defense Attorneys for Detroit Airport Crimes
If you are charged with a criminal offense or if you are being investigated because of an incident at Detroit Metro Airport, you need a lawyer with extensive experience dealing with the 34th District Court in Romulus and the prosecutor that handles these cases. LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. has decades of experience successfully defending clients charged with misdemeanor and felony offenses, and we can provide you a free consultation and confidential case evaluation.
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation, or complete a Request for Assistance Form and we will contact you promptly.