Who is the best DUI lawyer in Oakland County, Michigan?
Oakland County has some of the top DUI defense lawyers in Michigan. You should ask, “Which DUI attorney is best for me?”
Finding the Best DUI Attorney to Represent You
Finding the best DUI lawyer in Oakland County is not a matter of looking at a scorecard and finding the attorney with the best record. Such a rating system doesn’t exist, and the best lawyer for you and your case might not be the best for someone else. LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. is one of Michigan’s top-rated, award-winning law firms; you can rest assured that if you hire our firm, your DUI case is in the hands of highly qualified attorneys. Our defense lawyers are aggressive, savvy, and caring attorneys who will stop at nothing to protect your rights, keep you out of jail, and help you avoid a conviction. We take a “no shame approach” to each of our clients facing DUI charges, whether this is your first offense or you face felony DUI charges. We are here to help you, not judge you.
“What makes Oakland County the worst for OWI charges?”
Few judges in Michigan order jail for first-time OWI offenders. Oakland County is home to several district court judges who routinely order incarceration in all drunk driving cases. The county has a long tradition of conservative prosecutors and judges. MADD strongly influences the judges who must run for re-election periodically and rely on the support of MADD when campaigning. In addition to harsh sentences, Oakland County judges are strict when setting bonds and bail. Unless a defendant appears with a respected OWI attorney from the area, they risk overly burdensome drug and alcohol testing that is expensive and can interfere with employment, child custody, and more. Judges from this jurisdiction are brutal on bond violations and will not hesitate to revoke or raise someone’s bond for minor technical violations.
“What are the consequences of a DUI conviction?”
A DUI conviction will impact every aspect of your life, so it is imperative that you retain top legal representation to protect and defend you. Depending on the nature of your charges and background, you can expect thousands of dollars in fines, extended probation, alcohol and drug testing, a suspended driver’s license, and the possibility of incarceration. A DUI charge can close doors professionally as well. Established in 1998, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN P.L.L.C. has helped thousands of clients facing DUI beat charges altogether or settle for a less severe consequence. Many DUI cases are winnable, and your chances of winning are even greater when you enlist one of Michigan’s best law firms. If you are looking for an Oakland County DUI lawyer, look no further.
Below are Michigan DUI penalties in effect for individuals convicted of a drunk driving offense.
- DUI/OWI – First Offense – up to 93 days in jail, two (2) years of probation, fines of $100 to $500, 360 hours (45 days) community service, vehicle immobilization at the court’s discretion, possible ignition interlock device during probation.
- DUI/OWI – Second Offense – Jail time of five (5) days to one year, two (2) years of probation, fines of $200 to $1,000, minimum 30 days community service (maximum 90 days), possible ignition interlock device during probation, mandatory vehicle immobilization.
- DUI/OWI – Third Offense – Prison time of one to five years, five years probation, fines of $500 to $5,000, minimum 30 days probation with jail (maximum of one year), minimum 60 days community service (maximum 180 days), possible ignition interlock device during probation, mandatory vehicle immobilization.
- OWVI – First Offense – up to 93 days in jail, fines of up to $300, years of probation, 360 hours (45 days) of community service, and vehicle immobilization at the court’s discretion.
- UBAL (Unlawful Bodily Alcohol Level) – First Offense – up to 93 days in jail, years of probation, 360 hours (45 days) of community service, and fines of up to $500.
- DUI/OWI Causing Death – Prison time of 15 years, fines of $2,500 to $10,000, mandatory vehicle immobilization. If a firefighter or law enforcement officer dies, the maximum is 20 years in prison.
- DUI/OWI Causing Serious Injury – Prison time of five (5) years, years of probation, fines of $1,000 to $5,000, mandatory vehicle immobilization.
“If I’m a DUI repeat offender, what lies ahead for my Future?”
If you are a repeat offender, we cannot stress enough the importance of hiring highly experienced attorneys with a track record of winning in court to take your case. A third DUI conviction is considered a felony in Michigan and is punishable by up to five (5) years in prison and (5) years probation. The stigma of a felony DUI charge will follow you for the rest of your life, and it can take years to get your driver’s license reinstated. LEWIS & DICKSTEIN P.L..L.C. will fight tirelessly for the charge to be dropped or reduced, sparing you from serving time in state prison and maybe allowing you to keep your driving privileges.
“What qualities should I look for when seeking the best DUI defense attorney in Oakland County?”
The qualities of the best DUI defense attorneys in Oakland County, Michigan, are vital when searching for someone to protect and defend you, and your record, future, driver’s license, reputation, and livelihood. When searching for a DUI defense attorney, consider the following five qualities:
- Expertise in DUI Law: A top DUI defense attorney should have a deep understanding of Michigan’s DUI laws and regulations. They should be well-versed in the legal nuances specific to DUI cases, including blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limits, field sobriety tests, and the potential penalties associated with DUI convictions.
- Experience: Experience matters when it comes to DUI defense. Look for an attorney with a track record of successfully handling DUI cases in Oakland County and familiar with the local legal system, judges, and prosecutors. Experience can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
- Strong Advocacy Skills: Effective DUI defense often involves negotiations with prosecutors, arguing motions in court, and representing clients during trial if necessary. The best DUI defense attorneys should have strong advocacy skills, including the ability to effectively present compelling arguments and cross-examine witnesses.
- Attention to Detail: DUI cases often hinge on technical details, such as the accuracy of breathalyzer or blood tests, the validity of traffic stops, and the administration of field sobriety tests. A top DUI defense attorney should meticulously review the evidence and identify potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
- Communication and Client-Centered Approach: The best DUI attorneys should be excellent communicators who keep you informed about the progress of your case, explain your options clearly, and listen to your concerns. They should also be dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for your situation, including seeking alternatives to jail time or reduced charges.
Additionally, it’s essential to consider the attorney’s reputation, reviews from past clients, and their commitment to ethical and professional standards. Call any prospective attorney and request a free consultation to learn more about their practice, defense of similar cases, and thoughts on your case.
A Top Oakland County DUI Defense Law Firm in Michigan
Year after year, LEWIS & DICKSTEIN P.L.L.C. continues to win awards for their superior representation of clients facing various felony and misdemeanor charges, such as DUI, OWI, OWVI, OWPD, and other drunk driving type charges. If you are looking for an attorney, Oakland County is home to one of the best DUI law firms. DUI cases are defensible, but it’s up to the client to hire a law firm with an unparalleled track record for achieving exceptional results. Call us for a free consultation. Our experienced lawyers will take the time to talk with you, answer your questions, and address your concerns. We will find a way to help you!
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation or complete an online Request for Assistance Form. We will contact you promptly and find a way to help you.