How do I find a great Oakland County Divorce Lawyer?
If you are contemplating divorce or have a pending family law case in Oakland County, you will want to have the most experienced, skilled divorce lawyer to protect you, your family, and your assets.
If your divorce lawyer fails to protect you in Oakland County, Michigan, there is no second bite at the apple.
Developing a winning plan of action for handling your Oakland County divorce can be difficult. An excellent place to start is to sit down with a pad of paper and list the issues you feel you will be dealing with during the divorce. The significant issues are child custody, child support, spousal support (alimony), and property division. Do you and your soon-to-be ex-spouse agree on any of these issues? If you haven’t talked about those issues, do you expect a fight, or do you expect to reach a compromise? The more issues you agree upon, the less there is to fight about. The less there is to fight about, the less costly the process will be, financially and emotionally. If you have children, less fighting equals less damage to the kids. On the issues where you have an agreement, write down precisely what you and your spouse agree upon in simple and straightforward terms. A top Oakland County divorce lawyer can protect you, your family, and your assets.
What To Expect From a Top Oakland County Family Law Attorney
The top Oakland County divorce attorneys have various skills and talents that allow them to consistently achieve extraordinary results. Although no attorney is perfect, the best family law attorneys have the following qualities:
- Extensive Experience in Family Law
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Strong Negotiation Abilities
- Knowledge of Local Family Courts and Judges
- Empathy and Compassion
- Attention to Detail
- Proven Track Record
- Integrity and Professionalism
- Availability and Responsiveness
- Tenacity and Determination
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Patience and Understanding
- Commitment to Client’s Best Interests
- Strategic Thinking
- Collaborative and Mediation Skills
- Transparency and Honesty
- Credibility and Good Reputation
- Adaptability to Changing Circumstances
- Commitment to Continuing Education and Development
If your lawyer doesn’t seem to be the best fit for you or your case, it is best to make a change as early in the process as possible. An Oakland County divorce lawyer who is unable or unwilling to communicate, is condescending or disrespectful, or is not loyal and dedicated, is unacceptable. Although LEWIS & DICKSTEIN, P.L.L.C. doesn’t practice family law, we work with many of the best divorce lawyers in Michigan, including Oakland County. If you call us for a free consultation, we will take the time to talk with you, learn about your needs, and recommend a great attorney who would be a perfect fit for your situation.
“Should I hire a lawyer or represent myself?”
If you can afford a lawyer in Oakland County, a professional will always better represent your interests than trying to do it yourself. Even top divorce lawyers who get divorced hire a top Oakland County Divorce Lawyer to protect their interests. Regardless of whether your spouse is represented, you would be foolish not to have an attorney protecting your rights. Furthermore, there is a significant advantage to being the first to file. If you are considering a divorce or custody motion, talk with an experienced attorney as soon as possible to determine your best options.
“I don’t know anything about lawyers. What kind of lawyer should I hire?”
Most people spend more time buying a new car than picking out a lawyer to represent them in one of their most emotionally trying and difficult times. Getting a referral is the best way to find an Oakland County Divorce Lawyer. If you know a reputable, honest lawyer, ask them for the name of a well-respected, successful, affordable, and honest Oakland County family law lawyer. You don’t always need an aggressive, fire-breathing dragon-type divorce lawyer. You should think carefully about how you want the case to proceed, what you want to get from the divorce, and if there is room for agreement and good-faith negotiations.
It is Best to Personally Interview a Lawyer Before Making a Decision
After you get one or two referrals, interview the lawyers. Ensure the attorney practices in family law and that their divorce law firm practice in the Oakland County Circuit Court in Pontiac, MI. Be aware that some lawyers advertise themselves as the “best lawyer” or “super lawyers.” These self-aggrandizing titles can create an unjustified expectation about the results the lawyer can achieve. Some lawyers have earned these titles; however, some use them as shameless self-promotion. A referral from a well-known, respected attorney in another field indicates that a divorce attorney is worth interviewing.
What should I ask a divorce or family law attorney at a consultation?
When deciding whether to hire an Oakland County family law attorney, it’s crucial to ask questions that help you understand their expertise, approach, and how they will handle your specific case. Here are some questions that can guide your decision:
- How long have you been practicing family law?
- This helps you gauge their experience level.
- Have you handled cases similar to mine?
- Knowing if they’ve dealt with similar issues can be reassuring.
- What is your approach to handling family law cases?
- This gives you insight into their strategy and how they will manage your case.
- Who in your firm will be working on my case, and how can I communicate with them?
- This clarifies who your point of contact will be and how you can reach them.
- How do you charge for your services, and what is your retainer fee?
- Understanding the financial aspect is crucial for budgeting and avoiding surprises.
- Can you provide an estimate of the total cost of my case?
- While they might not be able to give an exact amount, a ballpark figure can help you plan.
- How do you expect to resolve my case, and what are the potential outcomes?
- This helps set realistic expectations for your case.
- What are the major issues you foresee in my case, and how will you address them?
- Knowing potential challenges helps you understand the complexity of your case.
- How often will we communicate about my case, and in what way?
- Setting expectations for communication ensures you stay informed.
- Can you provide references from past clients?
- Hearing from previous clients can give you insight into their experience with the attorney.
- What is your court availability, and how does it fit with my case timeline?
- Ensuring they have time for your case is crucial for timely proceedings.
- How do you continue your education and stay updated on family law changes?
- This shows their commitment to their profession and providing accurate advice.
- How do you handle conflicts of interest, and have you represented my spouse or someone close to them in the past?
- This ensures there’s no conflict that could affect your case.
- What is your philosophy on settlement vs. litigation?
- Understanding their preference helps align your expectations with their approach.
- What are the possible legal and personal ramifications of my case?
- This helps you understand the potential impacts of your case beyond the legal aspects.
- Can you provide a timeline for the major steps in my case?
- Knowing the timeline helps you manage your expectations and plan accordingly.
- How do you handle high-conflict cases?
- If your case involves a lot of conflicts, knowing their approach is essential.
- What role do you believe a client should play in their case?
- This helps you understand your role and how involved you can be.
- How do you support clients through the emotional aspects of family law cases?
- Family law cases can be emotionally draining, so knowing they offer support is vital.
- What is your success rate, and how do you define success in cases like mine?
- Understanding their track record and definition of success helps set realistic expectations.
These questions aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of the attorney’s experience, approach, and how they will handle your specific case, helping you make an informed decision.
What Can I Expect at the First Meeting with the Oakland County Lawyer?
This initial consultation allows the Oakland County divorce lawyer and you to screen and evaluate one another. It would be best to have a sense of trust and confidence in the lawyer. In other words, you need to feel chemistry. Don’t be afraid to ask questions: Where did you go to school? How long have you been practicing this kind of law? Do you know my spouse? Do you know my spouse’s lawyer? How many of these cases (like yours) have you handled? Do you have any specialties or specializations? What percentage of your practice is devoted to family law? How often do you appear in the Oakland County Circuit Court’s family division?
Many people interview lawyers on the telephone. Failing to meet with a lawyer in person might be a monumental mistake. Lawyers are, by definition, expert talkers. Eyes are the windows to the soul, and the best way to see if a lawyer is straight with you is to meet them in person.
The same rules apply if you are looking for an Oakland County custody lawyer or child support attorney. Money and property are essential, but your rights to your children and their best interest rise above everything else. Finding an experienced Oakland County family law lawyer to deal with custody issues is critical. Regarding child support, prosecutors are not charging parents responsible for child support with felony criminal charges for missing payments or falling behind in support. The importance of using a highly qualified lawyer to reach a favorable settlement of financial, child support, and spousal support issues cannot be understated.
How much does a divorce lawyer cost?
It is perfectly natural and reasonable to consider your budget carefully when looking to hire a lawyer. The old phrase, “you get what you pay for,” is generally accurate when hiring lawyers, but not all attorneys are within everyone’s price range. Experienced, fair, and ethical family law attorneys give clients the best chance of achieving the best possible result. Considering the stakes involved in a family law case, like children, finances, homes, personal property, and more, the analysis should be, “how much will it cost not to hire a top divorce lawyer?” By costs, you must consider the money, time, stress, time with children, division of real and personal property, and much more. The choice you make for your representation may be one of the most important decisions of your life. It would be best if you made it only after careful research and, ideally, with the help of someone who knows the top lawyers in Oakland County, Michigan.
Experienced Oakland County Divorce Attorneys – There is Someone Who Can Help You
If you need a top Oakland County lawyer and need some help finding the best divorce lawyer for you, please do not hesitate to call us for some direction. Over the last several decades, we’ve had an opportunity to meet and work with many of the best and worst divorce lawyers in Oakland County. We know the most effective family law attorneys and the ones to avoid. We will help you find the best family law lawyer for your unique situation.
Call us today at (248) 263-6800 for a free consultation or complete an online Request for Assistance Form. We will contact you promptly and find a way to help you.